2012-03-29

Spinach and Carrot Cookie Wreaths



How are you my beloved friends, time is really flying and Easter is almost here.
Today I have a simple yet amazing savory cookie recipe that I know you and your children will love.
These cookies are beautiful; you can find them in every bakery back in Greece but as  single carrot OR spinach wreath. I thought that maybe they will go well together and decided to combine them into a small braided cookie..

 
Ingredients (30 -35 pieces)
400 g all-purpose flour (I used 200 whole wheat and 200 white all purpose flour)
100 g cornmeal
2 carrots, grated
1 cup spinach, washed and chopped
200 ml extra virgin olive oil
100 ml water
1 teaspoon salt (1/2 if you use parmesan cheese in pastry)
Optional 1/2 cup grated Parmesan


How to make

Using a bowl, mix the flour with cornmeal, salt, and if you’re using the cheese.
 Add the oil and water and stir using a spoon. When well combined, turn out onto a floured surface and knead for a while until you have a soft and elastic dough.
Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and add the grated carrot, kneading and folding until well combined. The dough will turn into a beautiful orange color.
Do exactly the same thing with the second piece of dough using spinach.
Leave the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge if you want although it’s not necessary, it depends on the dough whether is too soft or not.
Take one small portion (in the size of a hole walnut) of the carrot dough and roll out into pencil size strips. Continue with the spinach dough. Do a simple braid or twist the two strips together and press and seal the ends to form a small wreath. Place in a baking pan covered with parchment paper. Keep in mind that they dont get bigger after they're baked.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Continue with the rest of the cookies and bake for 20 minutes.
If you want them super crispy then let them cool and rebake them for 15 minutes more at the same temperature.


Enjoy!!!

31 comments:

  1. You are the most creative cook I know. Who would have thought to put carrot and spinach in a cookie like that? Not me, that's for sure. They sound like the perfect thing to go with a nice glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet compliment my Heather! Yes it's perfect for a glass of wine or like a company to a cheese platter!

      Delete
  2. Eri, I'm not sure I could eat these - they're so pretty! But as delicious as they sound, maybe I could :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, believe me you will eat them!

      Delete
  3. They are beautiful! I love the colour of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed they are very common in the Greek bakeries these cookies but Ihave never thought of putting them together! Very clever idea! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so pretty and attractive. What a great idea. I haven't seen these before. Amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty! Just perfect for Easter. And I love that they have carrots and spinach in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try them Katherine, they are delicious!

      Delete
  7. How clever!!!!! They are so adorable, love that they are savory and not sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just love woven, braided or twisted bread...so fun to eat! And the fact that these are so beautiful make them even better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lizzy, I'm glad you liked them!

      Delete
  9. These are totally new to me but they sound devine! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them Maureen, thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  10. Whoa! I've never seen anything like this before: 1 - spinach and carrot in cookie, 2 wreathe shape cookies! I love these cookies Eri. Very, very beautiful! I rather want my kids to have these than all sugary stuff. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my sweet Nami! I'm sure they're going to like them!

      Delete
  11. Those cookies like awesome! Love the wreath and colors. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow thats so neatly braided, I love how it look as well as its recipe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Eri,
    I am impressed. Such gorgeous cookies. I love that they are savory with the goodness of spinach and carrots. Going to pin this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How many does the recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah, about 30

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I see that now. Silly me. Thanks!

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis