2012-09-11

Green Salad with Baked Feta Cheese and Pita Croutons




Hello there friends! So my son started JK last week and I already feel that our daily program is upside down! The good thing is that he just loves his teacher and every day he’s more than excited to go.  I’m really happy for him.
So while I'm crawling back into my routine, I have a delicious green salad today for you, the baked cheese in foil is just amazing and compliments wonderfully the salad. Baked feta in foil is a standard appetiser (mezes) in every restaurant in Greece, the cheese gets gooey with nutty salty flavor, divine!

Ingredients

For salad
1 bowl of fresh mixed greens (rocket, lettuce, radicchio, etc.)
1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
6-8 Kalamata olives into slices
1/2 red onion, sliced
some fresh basil leaves 
For the baked feta
1 piece of cheese 150 – 170 gr 
2-3 cherry tomatoes or 1/3 tomato sliced
1 small hot pepper sliced
oregano
little olive oil
For the vinaigrette
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt - pepper


How to make

Preheat oven to 420 degrees, cut a piece of aluminum foil considerably larger than the piece of cheese, drizzle with olive oil add the tomatoes, chili, oregano and close the foil.



Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven, turn to broil, open the top of the foil and continue broiling for few minutes more until slightly golden brown.



At the same time prepare the croutons, cut the pita bread into 8 triangles, brush them with a little olive oil, sprinkle with oregano, add a little salt and bake in the oven for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
Using a small cup mix all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and set aside.
Using a bowl add the mixed greens, stir and add the croutons. When you are ready to serve, add the hot from the oven baked Feta cheese, drizzle with the vinaigrette, and serve immediately.





Enjoy!!!

22 comments:

  1. τέλεια φαίνεται... και μου αρέσει πολύ η φέτα... looks delicious... I love feta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about you Eri. Good everything is well, and you were just busy! I know, back to school is always tough, but glad to hear your son is doing well. Moms are the ones who need real adjustment.. :D Be careful not to get sick next, because that's what I got after kids going back to school (and me not getting enough sleep!). ;) I've never tried baked feta cheese! I'm totally missing it out. This looks FANTASTIC and I'm going to give it a try as soon as I get feta at supermarket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baked feta cheese...have to try it. Love the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds simply amazing Eri!! I cannot wait to try it. I'm fresh out of feta (I know), alas, with my daughter's wedding going shopping for groceries was last on the agenda!!

    Thank you so much and will be making this soon!!!

    P.S. WTG for your son!! Enjoy every minute, they grow up faster than you can blink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad school is working out so well for him. It's so important to love your teacher. I love the look of this salad and I really like baked feta so this would be absolutely delicious - great flavours xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious beautiful, and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything with Pita bread. This looks s good. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baked feta, interesting. Actually I have read about it but never done it. I want to try this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh ya. Baked feta!! You've got my head rolling now Eri. Thanks and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so much better than my boring green salad with olive oil, vinegar and salt! Thank you so much for the birthday wishes for Sayaka Alessandra!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baked feta! Yum! Love the combination of delicious crunch and munch in your salad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. gia sta xeria sou, doksasmeni i mesogeiaki kouzina!!!!!!! sinexise tin kali douleia!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, I have never even thought about baking feta. This sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving your teacher is half the battle! I am so glad he is having a good time. My son started 2nd grade this school year and he was telling me today that he just has too much work and not enough "recesses" They get used to the fun and games of the early years and now they have to buckle down. It's not fun anymore! He too loves his teacher so that helps a lot.

    I love the idea of baking feta in foil. It looks so gooey and delicious! I always have feta so I am going to try this out.

    Hope you get your schedule back soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the BEST salad I've seen all month...that baked feta must taste fantastic! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing looking salad. Great colors and the baked cheese sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never thought to make feta like that but now I know I will try - looks like the most amazing salad ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eri, this sounds wonderful. I LOVE Feta cheese but have never had it baked. I will be trying this for sure. I was reading the recipe and I wasn't sure if you add the Feta right away with the tomatoes, chili and oregano????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Chris, you have to try it, just fold inside a foil the feta with some tomatoes, chili peppers, oregano and some olive oil. Hugs my friend!

      Delete
  19. Wow that's nice, I remember the feeling when my daughter started going to school. Be ready of the lunch box food items that is either thrown or not eaten as they tend to play first before having lunch

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis