2012-08-24

Yogurt Pancakes served with Honey and Figs



 Late August and now it's the time for figs. I have memories collecting them from the trees every year.. late summer. Avoid the opportunity if it comes on your way :)
Here in North America you can find them now although their price sometimes is just insane..  but it depends on the store, hopefully you can find a reasonable price..
Imagine 2 big bags full of figs every late summer in front of your door. This is happening at my mom's house every year and she's making a traditional preserve that we eat with yogurt.
Since I cant have this quantity of figs here, I made something else that is so tasty and good for you.  Yogurt Pancakes with oats and flax seeds served with honey and figs! Kick start your day with a brain booster breakfast!

Ingredients

2 tablespoons flax seeds
3 tablespoons rolled oats ( you can use any variety )
1/2 cup yogurt
50 ml milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour for all uses or half and half white and whole wheat
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
A little butter for the pan
honey and figs 8 small (any seasonal fruit)

How to make

Add the flax-seed in food processor and grind 3 times for 30 seconds. Add oats and grind them together for 15 seconds more. Keep aside.
Using a bowl, mix the yogurt with the milk and eggs. In another bowl mix the sugar, salt, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and oats - flax mixture.
Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture and stir.
Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 teaspoon butter. Once melted and the pan is hot enough add 1/2 a laddle of the batter to the center of the pan
When the bottom is ready flip the pancake using a spatula.
Serve with Greek Thyme honey (you have to try it) and figs.


Enjoy and have a good one!!

14 comments:

  1. Well, this is crazy! I absolutely love figs and love pancakes, but have never considered putting them together! Well, that's going to change. This looks wonderfully delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice way to start the day. I love fresh figs and with pancakes and honeyed yogurt that sounds like a tasty breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Figs are insanely expensive here too, even when they're in season. How lovely for your mother to have boxes of them arrive at her door. I love the look of your pancakes with the figs Eri - looks stunning and I would love to try this recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eri, it's not right that you're posting these delicious looking pancakes right when I've decided I need to loose a pound or two! Do you think I could loose much weight by drooling over your wonderful looking breakfast? I love the addition of figs, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pancakes! I just made some yesterday, but yours look so much more delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You pancakes looks so fluffy, I love them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eri - I've made ricotta pancakes but not yogurt ones, so I'm giving these a try this morning as I have some Greek yogurt ready to use. My friend has a fig tree - I wonder if she has some figs to share?

    ReplyDelete
  8. just made them - they are delicious. Of course I changed it up a bit by not adding the flax (didn't have any) and I left the oatmeal in pieces - my husband loved the texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I;m so happy that you liked them Heather, I loved that tang from the yogurt! :)

      Delete
  9. Mmmmm...I love the idea of adding flax seed and oatmeal to pancakes! And boy, is your mom lucky to have such an abundance of figs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there!
    I'd love to feature your recipe on the home page of Recipes.ca and share it with our community of Canadian cooks. Let me know if I have your permission. I'd love to use your photo too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Andrea, thank you very much!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis