2012-08-30

Chocolate Waffles and Homemade Chocolate Syrup



 Waffles are a standard breakfast and - or evening treat that Greeks use to eat on their vacations in the islands. I have no idea why this is happening, of course waffles are delicious but having waffles on vacations has become almost a tradition for most of the Greeks and waffles are not a greek delicacy.
Anyway, we love them, I don't know anyone who doesn't, so I made an easy chocolate version using my homemade chocolate syrup. I hope you like them too!

Ingredients

For syrup (500 ml)
 1 cup sifted cocoa
 1 1/2 cup sugar
 1 1/2 cup water
 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
 a pinch of salt
For waffles (4 - 6 people)
 3 tablespoons butter
 3 tablespoons margarine 
 2 cups all-purpose flour, (I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup regular flour)
 1 tablespoon baking powder
 a pinch of salt
 3 tablespoons sugar
 3 eggs
 1 cup milk
 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
 Berries for serving and some icing sugar for dusting

How to make

Start with the syrup, place a saucepan over medium heat and add all the ingredients of the syrup. Stir, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until it slightly thickens. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Measure and keep aside the half cup we’re going to need for the waffles, to cool faster.


Melt the butter with the margarine and keep aside. Using a bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Using another bowl, beat the eggs and add the milk, chocolate syrup, mixture of butter and vanilla.
Combine the dry and wet mixtures together and stir.
Use the batter according to your waffle maker instructions and enjoy!



22 comments:

  1. OMG this is heavenly - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I love your waffles. I would love to have these chocolate waffles on vacation, well for that matter they would be a treat anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, delicious and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my kids will be shocked if I serve chocolate waffles in the morning - I kinda like that surprise and want to see their smiling face. :) Looks so good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just saying to my son yesterday that I needed a waffle iron -he makes awesome waffles and I'm sure he will love this recipe which I'm forwarding to him.

    Happy long weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muy exquisito para un fabuloso desayuno sus gofres son increíbles, abrazos hugs,hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breakfast gluttony 101 in my book. ;-) Have a great weekend Eri!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Eri, you are so naughty - I think I've told you that pancakes and waffles are such a weakness for me. I love just plain ones but this, this is quite amazing. I'm trying to loose a few pounds a wedding that's coming up. I'll be seeing alot of family that I haven't seen for awhile. I don't want them to say - "has she ever gotten fat since she started blogging" :) but I'm seriously thinking about splurging and making these beautiful waffles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great recipe. I love the look of these. So yummy. And with the berries, well, they're healthy. That's a wonderful looking chocolate syrup xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I love the look of these! My kids would be shocked if I served these for breakfast, but they couldn't refuse them :) This would make such a fun dessert, too...just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't have guessed that eating waffles while on vacation would be a national pastime. I can see why it would be if everyone was eating your chocolate waffles with chocolate syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, these look perfect! This is reminding me that I haven't had waffles in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dessert, Breakfast either would work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. chocolate bliss...Thank you for sharing. Sending hugs your way and wishes for a beautiful week ahead xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. perfect sunday breakfast! it's on my list

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Eri, they look amazing!!! I'm not a chocolate lover but I would have no objections to these waffles for breakfast!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eri, this is absolutely outta this world, I literally just drooled!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look so delicious! I've never considered making homemade chocolate syrup- I'll give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I love chocolates! Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks wonderful! Love it that you serve with your own homemade chocolate syrup! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful vacation tradition! These definitely look vacation-worthy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis