2012-04-11

Thracian Meatballs



Today I have a traditional recipe; it’s a genuine recipe that my grandmother used to make. It’s hearty and on the comfort side, although I changed it a bit by choosing to bake and not fry the meatballs.  I don’t have to tell you how sweet and delicious those onions are going to be..  Serve it with the side of your choice and enjoy!

Ingredients

For the meatballs
500 g medium ground beef
1 cup cooked rice
1 onion minced
1 clove garlic minced
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped parsley and mint
Salt - Pepper
For the tomato sauce and onions
3 large onions, sliced into rings
1/2 cup of white wine
1 clove garlic minced
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon tomato paste
A pinch of sugar
Salt - Pepper


How to make

Using a bowl add all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix everything together. Mold small meatballs in the size of a whole walnut and place them on a baking pan covered with parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Using another bowl add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and minced garlic.
Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
Put a wide frying pan over medium heat and lay the onion slices, sprinkle with a little oil and 1-2 tablespoons of water. Let them become soft and golden, and then add the mixture of tomato and garlic, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Bake the meatballs in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Back to the tomato sauce, add salt, pepper and some oregano. Simmer for 15 -20 minutes.
When the meatballs are ready add them to the pan with the tomato sauce and let stand for 5 minutes.
Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.


31 comments:

  1. Hello...dish is very delicious and tempting one.

    http://www.foodydelight.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful looking meatballs. I love how you've plated the dish. It looks amazing and so yummy and of course, everyone loves meatballs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of adding mint to give them a fresh taste. They would be good over pasta too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heather, back in Greece there is no meatball without mint, you should try it!

      Delete
  4. These meatballs look delicious! I need to make a lot of these at our house. We love meatballs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious! My kids would definitely love this, and so would I! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering that I live in Thrace and am married to a Thracian, this is definitely going on my 'to make' list! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will all like this recipe Heidi!

      Delete
  7. Just looking at these pictures is making my mouth water! I will have to head to the market and make these this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace, I hope you;ll like the meatballs.

      Delete
  8. I love your traditional recipes Eri, I bet preparing this makes you feel like your grandmother is right there helping you! You've got me in the mood for meatballs and I love that these are very different than mine, I've never added rice and I love the idea of parsley and mint, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Chris, I love making traditional recipes that I grew up with..

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing such a special recipe. Your version is healthier and I love the onions... so soft and I can imagine they add nice sweetness to the dish. Beautiful presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow an heirloom recipe :-) The meatballs look yum...and best is they are baked...bookmarking this Eri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eri, these are gorgeous!!! I'm a huge fan of meatballs...and I like the idea of adding rice :) Thanks for sharing this wonderful family recipe~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I little rice in the meatballs...right on. That is a different twist that I can get behind. :-) Hope you're having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my friend, you should try it!

      Delete
  13. Rice in a meatball, thats new, that must have given this a really good texture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try them Reymund, they are really delicious!

      Delete
  14. These look lovely. I am sure my husband will love it with some pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I came to your blog via the Meatball section of VeryGoodRecipes.com - and am so glad I did. This meatball recipe sounds amazing - and I can see at least four other recipes that look just as amazing. LOL Our family absolutely adore Greek food - so I can see I'll be back here a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi love! I'm trying to pin this and pinterest isn't letting me :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know what happened Katherine, I;m trying to pin your bloghop and it cant find any pictures so it says...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis