2012-04-30

Stuffed Veggies - Γεμιστά



Hello there! I know it's been a while but here I am! Last day of April and Summer is approaching really fast! I know that good weather is here to stay when it's time to make this dish of stuffed veggies which apparently is the most famous Greek food of all time. I'm telling you; you have to try and make them. It is so simple and absolutely delicious.

Ingredients (Serves 4+)

2 medium tomatoes
2 large green bell peppers
2 large red or yellow bell peppers
2 onions finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup Basmati Rice
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
a bunch of mint finely chopped
1/2 bunch flat parsley finely chopped
150 gr feta cheese crumbled (optional)
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon died oregano
1 tablespoon tomato paste diluted in a glass of warm water with some salt and pepper
Greek Yoghurt to serve

How to make

Halve the peppers lengthways, discard the seeds and hard core but keep the soft inside "stems" in a bowl.

Cut the tops of the tomatoes and keep them aside. Use a spoon to hollow out the inside of the tomatoes, chop the flesh and keep it in thew bowl with the soft pepper pieces.
Place all the vegetables cut side up in a roasting pan or dutch oven.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Coat a pot with 5 tablespoons of olive oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice stir for 2 minutes, add the oregano and finally add the chopped tomato flesh and pepper pieces.
Pour 1 cup of stock and cook for 5 minutes until the rice gets coated and doesn't stick to the pan.
Remove from heat and add the fresh herbs and crumbled feta. Taste the stuffing for salt and pepper.
Pour inside the pan (avoid the veggies); the glass of warm water with the tomato paste.
Stuff the veggies with the hot rice mixture (don't overfill them) drizzle with  2 -3 tablespoons of olive oil and cover the pan with foil tightly. Bake for one hour, take the foil off, turn your oven into grill or broil mode and broil the food 15 minutes more just for the rice to get some color and become crispy. Serve hot or cold with Greek Yogurt!


Enjoy!!

41 comments:

  1. Eri, this is such a delicious looking dish - I love learning about all your authentically Greek dishes. I can imagine how yummy this is with the Greek yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - it's on my menu for this week with all the rainy weather forecasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, I'm sure you'll like it!

      Delete
  3. I love this dish! When i make it though i cut the top of the peppers the same way as the tomatoes! Well, i guess the taste is still the same! Have a nice week! Και καλή Πρωτομαγιά!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend, it;s easier this way.. you know, it's really difficult to find small peppers here! Καλό μήνα!

      Delete
  4. Wow! That looks great! I wonder what you call it in Greek! haha.. I've seen stuffed peppers before but have yet to make them! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for visiting my friend!

      Delete
  5. Oh yum! I have only had stuffed mushrooms, so I'm definitely going to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathleen, welcome!

      Delete
  6. Wow, that looks incredible! I want that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy Asmita! thank you for visiting my friend!

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious. I have had similar dishes like this one. I love the idea of stuffing the vegetables like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love stuffed veggies like this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! I love stuffed veggies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I owuld love those on yellow peppers, Yummy. Look at all of those flavours

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm I love stuffed vegetables and these look just perfect!! I will have to make these soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them Katherine!

      Delete
  12. Ι love love LOVE stuffed veggies... but... i can´t - realy not- cook them! How horrible is that? Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, these look marvelous!!! The rice filling is full of such delicious ingredients...so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love stuffed peppers and this looks delicious! I need to make some real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually get heartburn from bell peppers (genetic, weird huh?) but guess what I love bell peppers... so I eat them anyway! My mom makes meat filling but we never stuffed rice before. Sounds like a fun recipe to try it out. Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that many people get hurtburn from green peppers Nami, to tell you the truth I eat only the filling..

      Delete
  16. yummy :) my mom makes when ever bell peppers are home.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the very first Greek dishes I learned to cook - my husband's favorite. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great looking recipe Eri and a very lovely mid-week meal. Everyone in my family would enjoy this. Great that it's not expensive, it's very nutritious and it doesn't take long to make xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have wonderful memories of eating these in Greece...yours look spectacular! I see these in the near future on our dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look fabulous! These are going on my "must make" list! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dish brings back memories as my Mom made something very similar when I was growing up. Great way to use the required ingredients.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Improv Cooking Challenge entry: French Fries Hash Browns.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis