2012-01-09

Northern Greek Salad with Cabbage and Carrot





Hello there friends, how are you? It's been a while since my last post, but starting from today, I'm back at my normal routine - schedule. I didn't have the chance to visit your blogs yet and read your posts, but I will any moment now..
Today I have a wonderful winter salad very famous in my Hometown back in Thrace - Greece. This salad is tastier and better if you prepare it one day or two days before serving, and that is because it needs to marinade. So the longer it stays in the fridge, the more tastier it is. 
Give it a try!

Ingredients (A large salad bowl)

1/2 medium green cabbage thinly sliced
3 grated carrots
2 stalks of celery sliced, use the leaves too
1 red bell pepper, sliced in to thin strips (You can also use roasted red peppers in a jar)
10 Kalamata Olives pitted
6 Pepperoncini (pickled small hot peppers)
200 ml water
80 ml red or white wine vinegar
Salt, a pinch of sugar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for serving
1/2 cup of flat parsley finely chopped for serving

How to make

Using a large bowl with a lid, toss together the cabbage, carrots, celery, bell pepper, season with salt, add sugar and cover with water. Add the vinegar, close the lid and let the ingredients to marinade at least 6-8 hours and up to 3 days.
When it's time to serve, strain the vegetables and put them in a salad bowl. Add the Kalamata Olives, pepperoncini, parsley, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season to taste. It may need some more vinegar, it's up to you..!
Serve and enjoy!!






13 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Eri. Now that the kids are back in school, many of us are back into regular routines - I'm guessing you're amongst them.

    This salad sounds yummy. Would be good with some grilled meats like little lamb chops. Oh stop, I'm getting hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mostly German, so I love just about everything with cabbage in it. Love the combination of ingredients here. Recipe bookmarked to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy I like this salad looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eri, so glad to have you back! This salad looks wonderful and I LOVE that you not only can make it ahead but it's even better that way - I will be trying this out soon, for sure as I love this type of fresh salad loaded with yummy veggies. Do you have a favorite type of vinegar that you like to use in this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys for the comments, it's a nice winter salad, with not so complex taste.
    @ The Cafe Sucre Farine, I use simple but good quality red wine vinegar, I think that this recipe needs simple vinegars..
    Good night!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice recipe! Simple, easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, it does sound delicious! I look at the recipes and it's so easy to make, too. It's very refreshing and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Nami, it's really delicious!

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh I looooove everything in this! Totally up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn, you have a lovely blog, thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I sure know the taste of this salad. One of my co worker brought this for potluck. It tastes really good.Becoming your new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's really delicious! Thank you for visiting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis